Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mysterious Announcement / Fresh Lime & Coconut Condensed Milk Tart. (Ovo-vegetarian)

So my little brother & his girlfriend (M) have invited both of their families for dinner tomorrow, saying they have something exciting to tell us. Not something we usually do, so I presume they're engaged? Maybe pregnant? Probably engaged?

I want to take something nice for dessert that we can all eat.
This is complicated, as M has various food allergies: gluten, dairy, potatoes, lots more, and she is ALSO a picky eater who doesn't like fruit or "weird" ingredients.
On top of that, I eat 99% vegan - the only exception is eggs from my pet hens, who we recently adopted from a battery farm rescue group. Between four of them they lay one egg most days, which is technically a very low production, but to me is an abundance! I feel so wealthy with three precious happy-eggs in the fridge!

I also have an abundance of limes lately, so despite M's dislike of fruit, I thought I'd try making a lime pie based on the Lime Pie recipe from Everybody Likes Sandwiches (a vegetarian cook).


First obstacle: the recipe uses Sweetened Condensed Milk. I've never cooked with condensed milk before because the only brand available here is one which I try to avoid buying.
After reading through a few recipes for vegan condensed "milk" I came across one made with coconut milk, which sounds FRICKEN DELICIOUS in a lime pie! Unfortunately I'm out of palm sugar so brown sugar had to do. (All sugar in Australia is supposedly vegan, anyway.) My final "milk" is very reminiscent of Sago Pudding with Gula Melaka.
I'm sure you could also use soy condensed "milk" if you can find a brand you'd like to support!

I also had to use vegan, gluten free biscuits for the biscuit base. I wouldn't mind trying this in a gluten free pie shell, to cut down on prep time. If you're not concerned about gluten you could use arnotts Nice biscuits (vegan) or any pie shell you like!

Fresh Lime & Coconut Condensed Milk Tart

condensed coconut milk
1 can (400ml) good quality coconut milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
  • Heat in small pan on very low, stirring often, till reduced to one cup's worth. May take an hour or so. (!!)
  • I made this the day before - if making on the same day, make sure it is totally cooled before adding to recipe!
biscuit base
1 1/4 c vegan / gluten free biscuit crumbs OR "Nice" biscuits.
2 T white sugar
5 T melted (vegan) butter
  • Either smash the biscuits or whizz in food processor till they make rough crumbs. add sugar.
  • Mix in butter with fork or add straight to food processor.
  • Press firmly into tart pan with hands in shape of pie shell. "Blind" bake at moderate heat for 10 minutes, should be crisp.
tart filling
3 eggs
cooled, sweetened condensed coconut milk OR 300ml pre-bought vegan condensed "milk"
1/2 cup lime juice (about 4 - 6 limes)
2 t grated lime zest
  • While crust is baking, whisk or beat eggs till fluffy. 
  • Slowly add cool condensed milk and beat again - 5 minutes or so.
  • Add lime zest and juice and beat one more time.
Pour filling into shell and bake on moderate for 15 minutes, or until filling is set.
Cool completely on wire rack and then in fridge for 1 - 2 hours (or overnight if you have time!)

Hopefully I'll be able to make some cupcakes to take as well just in case this doesn't suit picky eaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment